April 13, 2009

Being a Momma (Continued)

I interrupted my planned walk down memory lane. So now let me tell you how I found out I was pregnant with my first child.

After years of infertility, I had finally got used to the idea of being able to travel as and when we liked. We traveled light and saw many parts of England. I finally released my desire to have children. It was up to God, I said, and meant it!

Then the opportunity came where both Hubby and I were able to go study together. It was something we had always wanted to do. So we dropped everything, sold our flat in London, packed up and went.

While there, in the first term, I went for aerobics in an attempt to get fitter.

I was sitting on the floor of that dining room twenty years ago (yes, it would be THAT long!) I still remember the moment it somehow dawned on me. It was my second session, and we had to warm up as usual. We began with stretching exercises. Hence I was sitting on the floor.

To my amazement, for the first time in my entire life, I was able to reach my toes.

For those of you who don't know me very well, I have never ever been able to touch my toes with knees unbent unless I almost do the splits!

But here I was, reaching those fat little bits at the end of my legs with reasonable ease.

Somehow, from the deep recesses of my mind, I remembered that when one is pregnant, one would have higher levels of hormones. One such hormone relaxed smooth muscles to prevent premature contractions. The uterus is made of smooth muscle. So are some other parts of our bodies, such as our back.

Amazingly, I made the connection that I was pregnant easily. My back muscles were relaxed - so I was able to bend forward and touch my toes!

It was with uncertain hands that I held the results of my pregnancy test for my Hubby to see. We could barely believe it. A new phase of our lives had begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment