April 6, 2009

A Fast-Diminishing Sight

What's big, red, steadfast and sturdy, and previously a prime instrument of communication?

That's right - the one and only postbox!
I still recall my aunt sending a US greenback for each and every one of her nieces and nephews on particular year. Apparently I was the only one who wrote back to say thanks!

Ah the written word - there were unique ways of communicating. One could read the frustration in how the "t"s were crossed a little harder. One could see the jerks from sobs in the misalignment of each word. Not to mention the science of understanding the writer from the writing.

Alas, with advent of the internet this is no longer so often seen. Indeed, letter writing by hand is a dying art. Even buying letter writing paper seems to be harder these days - you have to go to a specific corner in the stationery shop!

But I am hoping that with modern technology I will still have contact with my sons when they go - if not better contact. We have webcams and headphones etc these days right? I wonder how often they will communicate? Or will it be only when they need Vit M....?

No comments:

Post a Comment