July 13, 2009

Saving Yourself, Saving Others

Many years ago, when my own father was a lad, his friends threw him into a disused mining pool. They weren't being malicious. Just playful.

He had told them that he didn't know how to swim.

In typical exuberance of youth, they didn't believe him.

And decided to test their theory using one of the then many pools in my home town.

Alas, if you knew my dad, you would know he doesn't tell lies. Especially on matters such as this.

He nearly drowned.

We are so glad he didn't. Otherwise I wouldn't be here today.

Years later after that, my own sister nearly drowned.

I still remember the day. My cousins were in town. We all went for a dip at the local pool. I barely knew how to swim then, but as the oldest, I felt responsible nonetheless.

At one point, I suddenly missed my sister's bright lemon yellow swimsuit. Looking around, I could not see her at her usual spot near the steps. So I went up to the adults to see if she had got up without letting me know. Six years separated us. She was only a toddler then.

When I got to the adults and asked if she had come out of the water, they all said, "Noooo". Then I saw my dad move. Like never before. I knew he could move fast - he could outrun men younger than he.

He got up super quick and made a beeline to the pool. Without missing a beat, he VAULTED over the fence, plunging in feet first! As a trained lifesaver (following his bad experience), he knew time was of essence.

There was my sister, head bobbing above water. Paddling away with her hands and feet, almost vertical. She had been knocked off from the steps by a rogue wave.

And the lifesaver on duty thought that she was a particularly clever girl who knew how to swim... and left her to it.

Subsequently, I learned to swim well, as did all my siblings. We all represented the state.

I went on to take up life saving and got my distinction award.

My children learn to swim too.

Better safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment