June 27, 2009

Our Anniversary

It was a casual remark - telling an old friend that it was our wedding anniversary.

"Where are you going for dinner?" asked the friend.

"Oh," I replied, a little embarrassed because we hadn't discussed dinner plans due to our busy schedules of late, "probably eat at home." Grin in a silly way. "We haven't got a maid," I add. As if that was a good reason to eat at home! (Actually rather illogical, I know)

Friend shakes head and mutters something like, "Amazing". I continue in flustered tones because I don't want it to seem that we aren't a loving couple, that our anniversary isn't important, etc, "We just came back from England. That's good enough!"

End of conversation.

Or so I thought.

Later, I met this friend again.

A surprise was sprung. Suddenly before me was an envelope. It contained a dinner voucher for a lovely Italian Restaurant downtown. It had to be just obtained. Specially obtained.

"Have a good dinner, enjoy yourselves. You deserve it".

Wow.

So we went.
Upon arrival, the Captain came over to our table and asked for our voucher. How did he know? He mentioned our friend's name. As I suspected, the voucher was obtained a few hours earlier upon learning of our special day. It made the evening more special as we gave thanks for good friends.

This is what I ordered - roast lamb with apple sauce. It was absolutely delicious.
This is what my husband of twenty-seven years had - roast beef with a lovely sauce and side dishes.Good food with good company, thanks to good friends. A memorable evening indeed.

P.S. It was our anniversary, but because we very rarely have dinner together as a family in this nice restaurant, we brought the children along! It was also an opportunity for them to experience the generosity of friends, and as my eldest said, "Giving of vouchers is an excellent idea" Hence they learn from example and observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment