January 9, 2009

Turning Twenty

Arrow #1 used to be quite a shy and withdrawn chap.

Whenever we went out, even to visit a friend's house, he would not leave my side. Often as I moved from one part of the place to another, I would feel a tug at my skirt as he held on to it to make sure I didn't get too far away from him! I would make sure my steps were not too big so that he could keep up.

Once, when another boy hit him, he didn't hit back. Rather, he stood there! The mother of the other boy was most apologetic. She was also surprised at my son's behaviour. She couldn't believe that my son didn't hit back!

Over the years, he has grown to be a confident young man. Almost half of the one hundred youths who turned up on the first day of Chinese New Year were his friends alone! On that day, he was socializing with many and at the same time helping us with the logistics. He has friends from many different groups - different schools and churches. He is often asked to go out by different groups of friends to movies, shops, parties, and even just to hang out together.

What brought the change?

Perhaps it was watching his parents interact - Hubby and I are sociable creatures. We like small groups.

Perhaps it was attending a missions awareness course - He wanted to reach him friends. He still does and works hard at keeping in touch.

Perhaps it was a healing that the Lord did - He has had much prayer and we send him for courses.

Perhaps it was the football and other sports he played - he learned to interact in teams and work well together.

Perhaps it was just him slowly developing to be who he is as God intended - We tried to let him be himself.

Perhaps it was all the above.

Whatever it is, as he turns twenty later this year, we are pleased that he has grown to be who he is.

And we thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment