February 17, 2009

Rationed Caeserean Sections

I had my firstborn in England. When I was in labour with him for almost twenty-four hours, I thought I ought to have had a caeserean section. In fact, as he got tired and passed meconium in utero, I was mentally preparing myself for theatre, and trying to work out how to tell my Hubby so he wouldnt be too anxious. As it turned out, I was given a forceps delivery (that's worth another post!)

Then recently, I just read that in some places of the UK, the National Health Service there is facing such terrible financial constraints that they have to ration the number of caeserean sections performed.

Unlike my homeland where independent obstetricians can perform, and often do, caesearean sections on ladies pregnant to term on specific "suitable" dates, the doctors in the UK rarely do that. These operations are performed on a "need-to" basis. So I dont understand how they can cut them down. This sounds dangerous.... and scary.... and makes me glad that we opted to leave...

No comments:

Post a Comment