February 24, 2009

To Play or to Protect

This year, for her co-curriculum activities, my daughter decided to opt for volleyball. I wasn't too keen on that but she felt she wanted to. So I agreed.

On the first day of training, she came back with this. I don't know if you can see it, but there are tiny specks of red all along her arms - bruises and parts where the blood vessels have popped as the ball hit her arms.
It is not easy for me to see her arms like this. A mother's instinct is to protect and to say, "STOP PLAYING!"

But there is another part of me that takes over and says "This will toughen her. Let her continue".

So I let my more firm side take over and speak gently to her to continue even as I rub oil to soothe the pain.

After a few days, she is back to playing again. Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment